This project will establish a cooperative effort between students of St. Francis High School, Mountain View, CA (SFHS) and Hutatma Rajguru High School, Pune (HRHS) India. San Jose Pune Sister City Committee will act as a liaison to facilitate and manage this project. The project will establish a communication link between respective students and provide financial assistance to economically disadvantaged female students in Pune. Initially this project will be limited to assist 30 students of Hutatma Rajguru High School for the school year 2006-2007.
Worked with Pune committee to commission building a statue of Shivaji Maharaj (the great Maratha King 1630-1680). This statue was given as a gift to the people of San Jose by the people of Pune. This statue is now erected in the Guadalupe Park. This is the only statue of Shivaji Maharaj in North America.
Raised funds for Mutha River Park Project and built the park in cooperation with the Rotary Club of Kothrud, Pune. This project has converted an area of 5 acres by the river bank from an environmental disaster into a pleasant park setting made of shrubs, flowers and trees surrounded by a jogging track.
- Mutha River Phases II and III: Expand the park to 3 times its current size and develop other areas around the Mutha River Bank.
- Symposium in 2006 – to help San Jose and Pune people make business contacts, transfer knowledge and technology and build relationships with other organizations in either city.
- Vaccination program for low income class children around Pune city- work with the Rotary Club in Pune to vaccinate the poor children to avoid terrible diseases like Polio.
- Develop relationship with the Agricultural College in Pune for projects about “Bagayati Shetee” with the California technology companies and universities.
- Arrange student and teacher exchange and projects with the Pune University as well as other prominent colleges/high schools in Pune.
- Establish a scholarship fund for deserving but financially disadvantaged students in Pune.
- Hold seminars at primary education levels to exchange ideas between San Jose and Pune teachers. We also plan to invite teachers to develop a program to set up pen pals with the students in San Jose schools.
- Promote the sister city program in San Jose schools, businesses and to the citizens of San Jose.